Ruby is one of the cardinal gems like emerald ,sapphire and diamomd. The name comes from Latin word Ruber means red. In Hindu astrology ,it is called “Manik”.The gemstones comes in varied colour shades from pink to deep red mainly due to chromium element in it. It is the tradtional birthstone of month of July and the most expensive of the Ruby is called ” Sunrise Ruby”.
Natural occurance :
The world’s main source of naturally occuring rubies was in Mogok valley in Upper Myanmar (Burma). Later even the Mong su area of Central Myanmar started producing it. Nowadays the northern state of Kachin in Namyak is the chief source. Along with Myanmar, since ancient times, Rubies have been mined in Thailand , Cambodia, Brazil,Columbia and Japan. After World War 2 , ruby deposits were found in Madagascar, Vietnam , Tazakistan and Nepal. In mainland Europe,the ruby deposits are only found in Republic of Macedonia and the Macedonian ruby is peculiar rasberry coloured gem of premium variety.
Physical properties :
Similar to Sapphire and Diamond , it constitutes a stable form of aluminium oxide where about 1% of aluminium ions are replaced with chromium element which results in absorption of uvlight through yellow green region of spectrum which gives its peculiar red colour. On MOHS scale of mineral hardness Rubies scale upto 9.0 hardness . The specific gravity of this gem is 3.97-4.08.
All natural rubies have imperfections in them, including color impurities and inclusions of rutile needles known as “silk”. Gemologists use these needle inclusions found in natural rubies to differentiate from synthetics or simulants.
According to Hindu astrology, Ruby is the gem of The Sun.
Wearing a Ruby after proper study of your horoscope can give you the following benefits –
- Wearing a natural ruby can help overcome timidity. For individuals who find it hard to make themselves heard, it is a fantastic gemstone for it gives support to the “self”. In a horoscope, the Sun is a natural aatmakaraka and wearing a ruby gives boost to it.
- Natural ruby is red in color and it is often associated with passion and love. Rubies are often gifted as a mark of undying love.
- The intensity and heat of ruby is said to revitalize the system of an individual who is prone to depression and is lack luster.
- One of the notable ruby (Manikya Stone) gemstone effects is that it is able to dissolve confusion and give alert, sharp and focused eye! Individuals who are unable to set goals or see their works through to the end should try wearing a ruby and see the difference.
- In medical astrology, wearing a ruby (Manikya Stone) gemstone can restore vitality and help in issues related to eyesight and blood circulation.
- Another notable ruby (Manikya Stone) gemstone effects is that this stone is a gemstone for success in competitive exams, for practitioners of medicine, agriculturists, politicians and government personnel.