Hessonite is a gem quality variety of grossularite (grossular) garnet, the calcium-aluminum silicate member of the garnet species. While most varieties of grossularite are green, hessonite is known for its characteristic honey-yellow to brown-red ‘cinnamon’ color, though it can occur in other colors as well.
Hessonite comes chiefly from Sri Lanka and India where it is found generally in placer deposits, though its occurrence in its native matrix is not unknown. It is also found in Brazil and California.
It has a characteristic red color, inclining to orange or yellow, much like that of zircon. The difference is readily detected by the specific gravity, that of hessonite being 3.64 to 3.69, while that of zircon is about 4.6. Hessonite has a similar hardness to that of quartz (being about 7 on the mohs scale), while the hardness of most garnet species is nearer 7.5.
The Hessonite Garnet Stone is also called as “Gomed” stone. The planet Rahu rules over the gemstone Gomed/ Hessonite.
- Gomed is especially effective gemstone for those who have sarpa dosha such as Kalsarpa Dosha etc. (affliction or curse of the snakes). If suited to the individual it blesses with fast and miraculous relief from Sarpa Dosha and its symptoms.
- The Gomed stone removes confusion and provides mental clarity and a balanced temperament. Rahu periods are often accompanied by confusion, disillusionment and lack of confidence. Gomed stone removes these symptoms and provides relief.
- The Gomed stone benefits those in politics, public relations, event managers, individuals in commission trade etc. It blesses with power, influence, wealth and success.
- The gomed Gemstone removes fear complexes and blesses the individual with self confidence and the courage to take over anything.
- Gomed is an excellent gemstone for gastric disorders, problems due to win, sluggish metabolism. It blesses with health, vigour and vitality.
- Gomed Gemstone blesses with victory over enemies and negative conditions.