CAT’S EYE (VAIDURIYA/LEHSUNIA)
Cat’s Eye describes a gemstone polished into a cabochon that displays a narrow band of concentrated light going accross the width of the stone. This effect, known as chatoyancy, or cat’s eye effect, is caused by inclusions of fine, slender parallel mineral fibers in the gemstone that reflect light in a single band. Of all the gemstones that exhibit cat’s eye, Chrysoberyl Cat’s Eye is the best known. Chrysoberyl has the strongest and most distinct cat’s eye effect of all gemstones.
Natural occurance :
Chrysoberyl forms as a result of pegmatitic processes. Melting in the Earth’s crust produces relatively low-density molten magma which can rise upwards towards the surface. As the main magma body cools, water originally present in low concentrations became more concentrated in the molten rock because it could not be incorporated into the crystallization of solid minerals. The remnant magma thus becomes richer in water, and also in rare elements that similarly do not fit in the crystal structures of major rock-forming minerals. Cat’s eye really became popular by the end of the 19th century when the Duke of Connaught gave a ring with a cat’s eye as an engagement token; this was sufficient to make the stone more popular and increase its value greatly. Until that time, cat’s eye had predominantly been present in gem and mineral collections. The increased demand in turn created an intensified search for it in Sri Lanka.
Chrysoberyl is the third-hardest frequently encountered natural gemstone and lies at 8.5 on the hardness scale, between corundum and topaz. An interesting feature of its crystals are the cyclic twins called trillings. These twinned crystals have a hexagonal appearance, but are the result of a triplet of twins with each “twin” oriented at 120° to its neighbors and taking up 120° of the cyclic trilling. If only two of the three possible twin orientations are present, a “V”-shaped twin results.The specific gravity of cat’s eye is 3.71.
According to Vedic astrology, Cat’s eye Chrysoberylalso known as lehsunia or vaidurya is the gemstone of Planet Ketu or South Node of the Moon. It is a gemstone with intense planetary energies and shows effects quite fast.
- Wearing a cat’s eye gemstone can help in return of lost wealth. It also has the capacity to restart a closed business.
- Wearing a cat’s eye can ease the pain that invariably accompanies life’s tough lessons. It helps in detaching from unhealthy materialistic or worldly attachments
- The cat’s eye gem is believed to build back the physical body that has been damaged by abuse (of any kind – unhealthy habits, disease, depression etc.).
- The cat’s eye gemstone can relieve mental anxiety cause by inexpression of desires. It can dissolve stress
- Wearing a cat’s eye can give greater awareness and restore memory
- Disinterest in food, anorexia can be helped by wearing a good Chrysoberyl cat’s eye.